Summer is a slower pace at Campus Recreation. Fewer students are on campus to take advantage of our wonderful facilities, but that doesn’t mean we don’t offer any programs. During the summer, WIU Campus Recreation is offering four different intramural sports: 3 vs 3 basketball, 4 x 4 sand volleyball, 4 x 4 soccer and disc golf. Sign up for these events can be found at wiu.edu/intramurals.
If you’ve been interested in trying a new sport you are unfamiliar with, summer might be the best time to give it a try. Fewer participants per team are required for the summer events and it’s a very good time to learn the rules and generally enjoy a fun, recreational sport.
What sports would you like us to offer during summer intramurals? If you have suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Summer Intramural Suggestions.
We can’t wait to hear from you!
Hole 3 on the Harry Mussatto Golf Course at WIU
Aqua Climb wall in the Aquatics Center at WIU Campus Recreation.
Follow us on Snapchat! #WIUREC
A snazzy new cling on our wall.
Students work as Front Desk Attendants.
Even WIU’s Rocky likes to exercise!
The Spencer Student Rec Center is a great place to socialize as well as workout.
Flag football is just one of our many intramural sports.
Students work as officials, group fitness instructors, personal trainers, desk attendants, lifeguards and graphic artists.
Whether you are an incoming freshman or a long time faculty member, there are things you should know about Campus Recreation. We’ve developed a Top Ten list for your use!
- Campus Recreation’s goal at WIU is to offer a clean, safe, healthy environment for you to exercise and socialize. It’s important to find that place on campus you can go to relieve stress. Working or studying all the time is difficult. If you take a 20 to 60-minute break for exercise, you’ll find you become more productive and creative when you return to work or the books.
- We love to have fun! We offer some fun and creative things at Campus Recreation. Ever heard of Big Pink Volleyball? Each fall, WIU students gather in the Spencer Student Rec Center to play volleyball with a four-foot hot pink volleyball. It’s our way to raise money for Breast Cancer Prevention and Awareness through McDonough District Hospital and Komen for the Cure. This past February we held the second Nearly Naked Mile Race to support the McDonough County YMCA. We enjoy doing fun things while supporting good causes and keeping healthy activities in mind.
- Students work as officials, equipment and front desk attendants, graphic artists, personal trainers, lifeguards and group fitness instructors at Campus Rec. If you’re interested in developing translatable skills, Campus Recreation could be the place for you. Our student employees are dedicated to making your experience at the Rec Center fabulous. We hire freshman students through graduate students. Campus Recreation also offers a limited number of graduate assistantships.
- We’ve got an Aqua Climb wall in our Aquatics Center! Whether you’re an expert climber or a beginner the Aqua Climb wall will offer you fun and a challenge. Can’t hang on any longer? Simply drop into the water in the pool and have a good swim. You can conquer the wall later after a relaxing sit in our hot tub.
- Our building originally opened in 1997 and an addition was added in 2008, but our building still looks brand new. Campus Recreation is vigilant about maintenance of our facility. We replace equipment frequently to offer you the latest in cardio and weight equipment.
- Enrolled students at Western Illinois University have the use of the Spencer Student Recreation Center during the semester at no additional charge. Once you’ve reached alumni status, you have the ability to purchase a membership at the Rec Center to continue your healthy lifestyle.
- Whether you need an encouraging friend or a drill sergeant-type, we have a personal trainer to help you reach your goals. Our student personal trainers have completed training and classwork to offer you the education and support you need. The cost is nominal and you can read more about the program here.
- The Harry Mussatto Golf Course at Western Illinois University is a part of Campus Recreation. The 18-hole championship course is open generally from March through November. Green fees and cart rental costs are very reasonable and tee times can be made by calling 309/298-3676.
- Intramurals are a big part of Campus Recreation. We offer about 40 different activities a year you can participate in from flag football and battleship to speedminton. The best news is there is no additional charge to participate in intramurals. You can access our latest schedule here.
- Were you a high school athlete? Are you missing the thrill of competition high school sports offered? Campus Recreation offers 34 different sport clubs for you to compete in. Bass Fishing, Equestrian Club, Men’s and Women’s Volleyball and Fastpitch Softball are just a few of the many sport clubs. If you’re interested,